Re: I have a question?

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steppenwolf from virt10.sun1.lightsurf.net (63.215.193.50) on Friday, March 28, 2003 at 4:32am :

In Reply to: I have a question??????????????? posted by Man With Cool Hat from dhcp065-025-021-184.neo.rr.com (65.25.21.184) on Thursday, March 27, 2003 at 11:48pm :

The study of religion is not "such a big part" of archaeology per se, the latter being but one dusty area in the vast field of anthroplogy. Archaeology (physical anthropology) is the scientific study of extinct peoples and cultures through their remains and the things they have left behind (fossils, skeletal remains, objects of human workmanship, artifacts, inscriptions, etc). Of course, religious artifacts, ceremonial implements, etc, are part of what archaeology deals with. However, there are anthropologist other than archaeologists, who deal with the religious aspects and systemic theology. This is not to say that the different areas in the fields of human anthropology and anthropometry do not overlap and complement each other, because indeed they do. And don't forget, a CSI is an (forensic) anthropologist, too.

I just felt compelled to clarify the matter by confusing it further. Heh!

--S

PS: Indyfans are known of being open to other religions? I smell a thesis in the making.

: First, thanks for the post. This book sounds interesting. I'll check it out when I can find the time. Not to be a downer, (and I really don't mean to be), but why is referencing the "Bible" in the title of the book you mentioned a bad thing? I guess that I assumed that Indy fans in general would be more accepting of religious books and documents no matter the religion. It is after all, such a big part of what archeology studies.

: Not trying to pick on you here, but I was just wondering.

: Thanks.

: M.w/C.H.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com