Still, after reading back earlier--

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Operator Jake from cas01.mtsano01.ga.comcast.net (68.47.0.7) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 2:27pm :

In Reply to: Well... posted by Inby from ? (66.150.13.114) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 12:54pm :

It sounds as though you really need a to find a new cause to champion, or at least learn to get priorities straight.

The coalition honestly did their best to keep things as orderly as they could during the operation, but the good guys can't and couldn't be everywhere at once, nor can the powers that be develop clairvoyance enough to know beyond a doubt exactly how newly liberated citizens are going to behave. The situation had the potential to be so much worse.

Aside from all of that, the fundamental thing is that when you get right down to it, everything in that museum without a pulse is just that--things. Junk, if it needs to be spelled out. A bummer for it to be stolen or destroyed, yeah, but I'd think that even the most jaded and thoughtless human beings in the world would agree that the contents of the museum were a far cry from the real loss and horror in this, if they could have seen it for themselves.

Maybe the media didn't do enough justice to it. Point is, personally, I would have been willing to allow everything in that building to be smashed into tiny pieces if it would have meant one less GI/coalition member or innocent citizen killed.

Perhaps what someone was trying to get at before with the comparing of Indy and the Sankara stones was that the character ultimately was willing to distinguish the value of humanity over rocks. True enough, no one can make this a case of black and white (and neither can you), and "false dichotomy" or not, it's a moot point since it was just a movie.

I guess that I don't have a whole lot more that I feel like trying to relate right now.

There was one thing my father used to believe that I still take to heart concerning Vietnam, and I think that it can and should apply to the present situation--"If you weren't there, SHUT UP."

Couldn't have put it better myself, dad.

On behalf of every "gung-ho, whip-weilding fedora wearer" who did their very best and to the ones who didn't get the chance to see home again, from the bottom of my heart, let's be careful out there.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com