Re: In all seriousness, though...

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Goodsport from adsl-216-102-199-185.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net (216.102.199.185) on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 at 6:47pm :

In Reply to: Re: In all seriousness, though... posted by James from cpe-024-211-065-155.sc.rr.com (24.211.65.155) on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 at 11:36am :

: :I can't quite quite put my finger on why, but it's not the same as replacing whichever actor is playing James Bond or Batman.

: Exactly. Since the public's first encounter with the character was cinematic- not literary- Ford will always be identified with the role.

: I also think anyone attempting to play the character other than Ford would simply be trying to play Ford, not Indy. A character like Bond or Batman can be played several different ways (serious, comical, cold-hearted, etc.), since there are many different incarnations to play off. But what else, beside Ford's portrayal, is there for Indy? Everything out there- book, comic, videogame, etc.- exists in Ford's long shadow.

You absolutely hit the nail right on the head!

This is the same reason that no one else can ever replace the original actors/actresses in the roles of any of the iconic human Star Wars characters (Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia Organa, Hans Solo, etc.) if playing them in the same time period as the movies. Of course we've seen Ewan McGregor play the role of Obi Wan Kenobi... but even then, he portrayed Kenobi from a much earlier period (such as what Flannery and Carrier did with Indiana Jones).

-G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com