I don't necessarily agree

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by IndyCoil from dialup-216-19-8-123.az.commspeed.net (216.19.8.123) on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 10:21pm :

In Reply to: Indiana Jones & The Pirates of the Carribean posted by Sean from d141-42-30.home.cgocable.net (24.141.42.30) on Monday, July 21, 2003 at 12:30pm :

I saw it twice, and it was just as good.

Though I don't feel it had much of a Indy feel as it had a Star Wars feel

The story was damn near the same as ANH, and it was edited close to the same way

"My father was not a pirate!" is quite similar to "No, my father didn't fight in the clone wars, he was a navigator on a Spice Freighter..."

Obviously, Will is Luke, Jack is Han(Scoundrel reference made at one point), and Elizabeth is Leia, pseudo-royalty included. Barbarosa is just as evil as Vader but more of a smartass.

All in all, good flick

Say, anyone else catch the Indy-esque part during the dinner scene before Barabarosa explains the curse to Elizabeth? Very similar to Raiders with Belloq and Marion. Elizabeth even steals a knife exactly the same way. In fact, I half expected to hear Barabarosa say "I would very much like to see you in it" or some variation there of when Elizabeth got the dress.

: Hey:

: Just saw POTC etc...last night, and let me tell you - I have a new addition to my top 5 films of all time.

: I won't spoil anything here for you, but it is very much in the tradition of 'Raiders,' with a smart script, amazing direction, not one bad performance and a real sense of high action and adventure.

: The movie is never afraid to shy away from overt violence or adult themes (surprisingly for a Disney flick) and is refreshingly un-PC at points. I get a real sense that there was a vision at work here, one that was executed beautifully.

: And, like Harrison Ford, Johnny Depp plays a lovable rogue who is rough around the edges but ultimately does the right thing. And, like Harrison Ford, he will unfortunately not be rewared with an Oscar for his outstanding performance.

: So, the reason I am posting this is to let my fellow Indyfans know that POTC is stylistically similar to 'Raiders' (and, in fact, Star Wars or the Wizard of Oz) and had I had the time, I would've turned around and went back to see it again right afterwards.

: Amazing stuff.

: Sean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com