Re: Anyone here an archaeology major?????

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from eeespace102.utsi.edu (150.182.24.102) on Monday, September 20, 2004 at 3:26pm :

In Reply to: Anyone here an archaeology major????? posted by Ulla from compression03.oak.mdsg-pacwest.com (63.93.96.61) on Sunday, September 19, 2004 at 7:28pm :

: Hello all!
: Just a random thought: I'm taking care of college applications (in other words PLANNING MY FUTURE UNTIL THE DAY I DIE) and wish to become a classical archaeologist with particular emphasis on Near Eastern studies. Now, I KNOW the field is VASTLY different than our beloved MOVIES, but as long as it gives me a chance to travel, I'll be happy.

: Has anyone here studied something similar? Did you come across any disillusionment?

:
: WILL I BE HAPPY?????<:-(
: Distraughtedly,
: Ulla

Ulla, my eldest daughter is completing her last semester to graduation, and will finish with two degrees, one in archaeology, the other religious studies. Her main interest is Egyptology, and the field is getting pretty open again, as the old Egyptologists are getting up there in age, and not much coming behind to fill the void. That said, though, with the way the near East political situation is, and with the current swing of countries becoming isolationists in terms of whom they allow in their borders for field work, that part is a bit dicey at best for the future. Hard to say, considering you're not at the threshold of the work, but (if I understand correctly) projecting what you WANT when you're done, I'd be hard pressed to say 'yeah, or nay', regarding your being happy. Best pick a path, but leave yourself avenues you can turn to that will take your strengths with you, but allow you to be flexible. If you put down a rock solid 'field work in such and such an area', and that area dries up, you're in for a hard road, as you'll be standing in line behind those who DID allow for that eventuality.

Did that make any sense?

Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com