To People With "Solutions"

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Micah from cc85701-a.hwrd1.md.home.com on December 01, 1999 at 19:58:51:

Hi,

I appreciate your suggestions but the problem is not disk space. Deleting old messages or the fan fiction forum, etc. will not help. The problem is bandwidth. The forum page gets big because it is an active conversation and that's a Good Thing. And many people download it in a day to read the latest info, which is also a Good Thing. We just need a bigger place to grow, that's all.

The problem comes in finding the bigger place. I've found some options, but the technology behind the Forum, expiring old messages, etc. won't work in the new, bigger place without some major effort. (For you techies, I need to add web interfaces to some of the things I've just been executing from the shell)

So, the options in decreasing order of probability (as of this moment): Do the significant amount of work necessary to get the Forum in the new place, stay with my current provider and pay some extra green ($100/month) for the extra bandwidth, replace the Forum with the UBB system, or ditch the Forum.

If you read or post to the Forum, TAKE THE POLL! If you don't weigh in with your opinion, you are essentially voting for the fourth option (Ditch the Forum)!

Thanks,
Micah

P.S. My goal is to preserve everything ever written to the Forum. Even if it's only available through my sporadically online home computer.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]