DVDs- George Lucas Can't Win

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by New Jersey Hughes from h186.n-D1A278.sac.verio.net on September 04, 2000 at 12:08:17:

In Reply to: Indy DVD's posted by Dr. Dietrich on September 02, 2000 at 13:16:02:

Something to consider, concerning Indiana Jones and/or STAR WARS DVD (and this isn't intended for any one person who's posted, but for all of us)...

If George Lucas is all the way on the other side of the planet, busy directing a film under blazingly intense fan and media scrutiny, he probably doesn't have the time to oversee all the exciting bells and whistles that almost DVD owner now EXPECTS in their home video purchases. This isn't supposition on my part; this is from a Lucasfilm press release. So...

George Lucas gets lambasted because he won't 'give us' the DVDs we whine about, but if they hurry up and just put the Indy and STAR WARS films in DVD, just beautiful high-end prints with no supplemental material, Lucas will get vilified for 'cheating' his fans out of their hard-earned money, as we all know that a 'full' DVD of each of these films will come out eventually. Lucas gets slammed, no matter what he does. He can't win.

Can anyone see what I'm getting at? I don't really like being George Lucas' apologist (hey, he does stuff I don't dig, too), but out of sheer devil's advocacy, I feel the need sometimes to pipe in and ask my fellow fans to cut the guy a little slack. He's busy trying to make a Star Wars film (something else that fans have been whining about for years), paying for it all himself and doing so under unbeleivable scrutiny and pressure that other film projects don't have get made under. Could any of US make a major motion picture, surrounded at all time by potential spies and traitors, all the while within earshot of fans clamoring "That's fine, but where's our DVDs, bastard?" "Hey, when's Indy 4 coming out, you son of a bitch?" "That's swell, but what have you done for me lately?" Could you do YOUR job with all this horseshit going on around you?

All good things come to those who wait. Someday we'll all have ALL the Indiana Jones and ALL the Star Wars films on DVD. We'll get the Indy 4 we're all clamoring for. And those of us who want to be proud to say "Yup, I'm an Indy fan!" or "I'm a Star Wars fan, you betcha!" won't just take these things from Lucas and respond with merely "Well, it TOOK you long enough, pal!!"

If your gut reaction to what I just wrote is anger and acrimony, then maybe you need take a step back and look at just how you act, and how it's perceived by others. If you read all my crap and it made you introspective, then maybe you've a chance to be that rarest of things- a cool fan. I know that's what I'm trying MY best to be.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]