Re: Darkening (anti-distressing) a jacket

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shawnkara from spider-tp074.proxy.aol.com on October 10, 2000 at 03:15:08:

In Reply to: Darkening (anti-distressing) a jacket posted by MF on October 09, 2000 at 23:02:44:

This MIGHT be useful in your situation, but I don't know how badly yo-... I mean your 'friend' damaged 'his' jacket. I took an unorthadoxed approach to disrtessing my Wested. To me the jacket never looked so much distressed as just 'old, dull and worn'. I went over it entirely with sandpaper, highlighting it a bit more than most would. I then took black water-based acrylic paint and thinned it until it practically black water. I painted the whole jacket (you heard me!!) and let it dry. It darkened the leather just a bit and gave it a nice dull finish. Ok, anyway, my point is that the pigment from the paint soaked into the exposed, sanded areas. It restored the affeted areas to the same color as the rest of the jacket. The distressing is far less prominent than before I painted it and is really only noticeable in the sun.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]